By Steven Glassman
Dear Matt and Rock:
The following below is the August 29, 2021 SABR Connie Mack-Dick Allen Chapter Secretary’s Report:
Chat began around 2:00 p.m. with four people in attendance:
· Steven Glassman
· Seamus Kearney
· Bill McClain
· Michael Peich
· Rock Hoffman (joined at 3:00 p.m.)
Michael Peich purchased a 19th Century Trade Card at the 2021 National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago, Illinois. He gave the following description and showed it to the attendees:
· Official Base Ball Tournament and Picnic
· Gray Eagle Base Ball Club
· Invites a male and female (if available)
· Game near Sellersville on August 24, 1867
· Printed by Harris Printers in Philadelphia
· List of 30 “Managers” at the bottom of the card and Michael said that some of them were from Rock Hill (or Rockhill), Pennsylvania. These people may be patrons, sponsors, or supporters.
Michael also pointed out the logo and design in the middle of the trade card.
Michael also tried the Sellersville Historical Society, Newspapers.com, Ancestry.com, Peter Mancuso, etc. for help and assistance about this trade card.
Attendee suggestions included the Bucks County Historical Society, Protoball, SABR 19th Century Baseball Committee, SABR Baseball Card Committee, SABR Connie Mack-Dick Allen Chapter Leadership and Members, SABR-L, SABR 19th Century Listserv (formerly with Yahoo), Richard Hershberger, and John Thorn.
Attendees also suggested that Gray Eagle could be a tobacco company and that this trade card could be an invitation to a company event/picnic.
Michael also discussed his graphic design and vintage ephemera, card collecting, and dealing experiences.
Rock joined the meeting at 3:00 p.m. and discussed with the remaining members about the status of the Eden Cemetery (Collingdale, Pennsylvania) Gravesite Commemoration Project that he is doing with Phil Williams for the following Negro League baseball players:
· S.K. (Stanislaus Kostka) Govern (Born in 1854).
· Danny (Daniel) McClelland, LHP (1878-1962). McClelland played from 1899 to 1913.
Rock also said that 20 people (so far) are coming to the SABR Multi-Chapter doubleheader between the Buffalo Bisons and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders at PNC Park in Moosic, Pennsylvania on Saturday, September 4 at 5:00 p.m.
Meeting concluded around 3:20 p.m.